Section 106 Applications ¦ What are they and how do they work?

POSTED: January 04, 2019

When it comes to trying to get a property (either new build or existing) connected to the public sewer there are many different applications which need to take place in order to get the correct permissions to be digging in the highway. Its worth noting that not all connections to the public sewer need to take place in the public highway sometimes there is a suitable manhole within the boundary of your property.

A section 106 is a form used by your local water authority board. These forms/applications vary depending on each supplier, but they are all leading to the same point, the applicant asking permission from their local water authority to connect to the public sewer.

These forms can be quite daunting as they do require very specific information. They also differ from a storm connection and a foul connection. The forms can often be downloaded from your local water boards website and there will be a payable fee on application depending on connection type and where the connection is going to take place.

Once the form has been filled out, a site plan of the property along with the connection drawings will need to be submitted alongside.

The LWA will take around 21 days to process the application, they will come back for more information if they require. With some LWA’s they also require all the contractor’s details, so it is advisable to get a contractor in place ready.

The consent will only be issued once all information and payment has been made.

Section 106 application

Above is a picture of a Section 106 application for Northhumberland Water. These forms can be very confusing but fortunately we have an in house team that deals specifically with both section 106 and section 50 applications.


If you are planning a new project or are in need of a new connection to the public sewer then give our team a call today on 0870 863 0123 to talk about your needs.